CS at U.Va.
The U.Va. Department of Computer Science is a nationally recognized leader in computer science research and education. Our department includes 25 faculty members, 100 graduate students and 300 undergraduates. Faculty are active in fundamental computer science and engineering research and are engaged in interdisciplinary initiatives with scientists, humanists, engineers in other disciplines and medical personnel.
Our graduate students transition from students to collaborators through participation in world-class research projects. Our undergraduates are involved in research and are enriched by an integrated and challenging curriculum.
Student Defense Presentations
- Vidyabhushan Mohan - Thursday, September 4, 2014 Towards Building Energy Efficient, Reliable and Scalable NAND Flash Based Storage Systems
- Jens Lienig, Dresden University of Technology, Dresden, Germany - Friday, August 15, 2014 Electromigration and its Impact on Physical Design in Future Technologies
- Andrew Frye - Thursday, July 31, 2014 Drapes: A Decision Tree Based Predictive Heating Solution for Smart Home Applications
- Jeremy Kim - Monday, July 28, 2014 AsthmaGuide: An Asthma Monitoring and Advice Ecosystem
- Tanima Dey - Thursday, July 24, 2014 ReSense: A Unified Framework for Improving Performance and Reliability in Multicore Architectures
- In Kee Kim - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 Comprehensive Elastic Resource Management to Ensure Predictable Performance for Scientific Applications on Public IaaS Clouds
- Shahriar Nirjon - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 A General-Purpose, Energy-Efficient, and Context-Aware Acoustic Event Detection Platform for Mobile Devices
- Ruslan Ryzhkov - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 JSDL++: Extending the JSDL Specification Used in Grid Computing Environments
- Samee Zahur - Friday, May 2, 2014 Abstractions for Data Oblivious Programs
- Tung Dao - Thursday, May 1, 2014 Coverage-based Input Type Detection for Executables
- Muhammad Nur Yanhaona - Thursday, May 1, 2014 PCubeS Type Architecture and IT Programming Language
- Xi Wang - Thursday, May 1, 2014 Synthesizing REST Web Services to Advance a Useful Science of Non-Functional System Properties and Tradeoffs
- Chi Xiao - Thursday, May 1, 2013 Safety Case Monitoring System
- Prof. Mark Sherriff accepts the ice bucket challenge!
- Prof. Jack Stankovic is interviewed by Microsoft about "Smart Homes, Smart Phones, and Beyond."
- Congratulations to Shahriar Nirjon for winning the best paper award at MOBISYS 2014!
- "What Happens When the Right App Doesn't Know What the Left App is Doing?" - Prof. Jack Stankovic
- Prof. and Chair Kevin Skadron and 3 others at UVA were Awarded Funds to Advance Research, Economic Growth in State
- Prof. Kamin Whitehouse: "If Homes Could Talk"
- UVA Prof. Connelly Barnes and team have created "A Photo Filter, Just for Your Face"
- UVA Today's article on Prof. Mary Lou Soffa, "Award-Winning Computer Scientist Opens Door to Women"
- Brown Computer Science Blog about UVA CS Prof. Jack Stankovic
- Congratulations to Mary Lou Soffa for winning the 2014 ACM SIGSOFT Influential Educator Award "For a sustained record of mentoring of women at all ranks in the field of computing, especially software engineering." This is a wonderful recognition of the impact that Mary Lou has had on the lives and careers of many, many women, but also her impact on all her students, male and female; and on her commitment to CS education.
- Congratulations to all of the students that received awards this year in our department award ceremony!
- Congratulations to Jack Stankovic, who has been chosen by the University of York for an honorary degree of Doctor of the University. Each year York selects distinguished people to receive this honor.
- UVA Computer Science Spring 2014 Newsletter
- The First Annual Hack.UVA - April 11-13, 2014
- UVA hosted the 4th annual High School Programming Contest on Sat. 3/29, 2014
- Congratulations to Mark Sherriff for being selected for a 2014 All-University Teaching Award. Nine are given this year. This is an extremely prestigious award and a wonderful and well-deserved recognition of Mark's accomplishments and hard work. We are very fortunate to have him as part of our department.
- Congratulations to Jack Stankovic and his group for having their proposal to the Microsoft Research Software Engineering Innovation Foundation (SEIF) was accepted. Click to read more.
- UVA Engineering Open House TOMORROW - Sat. 3/22/14!
- BACS application deadline extended to Tuesday 3/18 at 5pm. Please turn in signed form and materials to the Computer Science Department in Rice Hall, Rm. 527
- Congratulations to Mark Sherriff (Dept. of Computer Science) along with Avik Ghosh and Harry Powell (Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering) for being selected to participate in the National Academy of Engineering's fifth Frontiers of Engineering Education symposium.
- IMPORTANT dates for current graduate students
- Saturday, March 22 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM: UVA School of Engineering Open House
- US News ranks "Software Developer" as the #1 best job!
- Kintense, a system designed by Shahriar Nirjon and colleagues was created to warn medical staff if a patient is acting violently – but it could also be used in security cameras
- UVA Computer Science Programming Team Advances to World Finals in Russia