CS at U.Va.
The U.Va. Department of Computer Science is a nationally recognized leader in computer science research and education. Our department includes 28 faculty members, 80 graduate students and 680 undergraduates. Faculty are active in fundamental computer science and engineering research and are engaged in interdisciplinary initiatives with scientists, humanists, engineers in other disciplines and medical personnel.
Our graduate students transition from students to collaborators through participation in world-class research projects. Our undergraduates are involved in research and are enriched by an integrated and challenging curriculum.
Student Defense Presentations
- Jian Xiang - Monday, December 1, 2014 Real-World Types and Their Uses
- Sirajum Munir - Monday, November 24, 2014 Integration of Cyber-Physical Systems for Smart Homes
- Ritambhara Singh - Tuesday, November 18, 2014 Cross-Context Prediction of Transcription Factor Binding Sites for Unannotated ENCODE Data
- Firoze Lafeer, Head of Capital One's Technical Fellows program - Thursday, November 6, 2014 Mashing banking services together in a functional reactive way
- Aadrosh Ratan, Asst. Prof., Center for Public Health Genomics - Monday, November 3, 2014 Split-alignment of Short Sequences and Subsequent Identification of Variants
- Career exploration sponsored by Excella - Wednesday, October 29, 2014 What will you do with your tech degree?
- Vijayan N. Nair, Prof. of Statistics and Professor of Industrial & Operations Engineering, U. of Michigan; President of the International Statistical Institute: Friday, October 24, 2014, Rm 101 at 3:00 PM in Nau Hall, "What's the Big Deal about 'BIG DATA'?"
- William "Chip" Levy - Wednesday, October 22, 2014 Defining Neural Computation Through Optimization Results
- Stan Humphries, Chief Economist at Zillow - Inaugural Distinguished Lecture Series in Data Science: Friday, October, 17, 2014 "Zillow Perspectives on Data Science"
- Mohsin Ahmed - Monday, October 6, 2014 SocialSense: A Collaborative Mobile Platform for Speaker and Mood Identification
- David Luebke - Thursday, October 2, 2014 Computational Displays for Virtual & Augmented Reality
- Yong Sun - Wednesday, October 1, 2014 Smart Water Heater
- Chris Sweeney, University of California, Santa Barbara - Friday, September 26, 2014 Continuous, Dynamic Reconstruction of the 3D World
- Devika Pisharoty - Monday, September 22, 2014 ThermoCoach: A study of occupancy-based schedule-recommendations on energy costs and user comfort
- Vidyabhushan Mohan - Thursday, September 4, 2014 Towards Building Energy Efficient, Reliable and Scalable NAND Flash Based Storage Systems
- Computer Science department working to meet increasing demand
- Hongning Wang has just been named one of the winners of a Yahoo Academic Career Enhancement Award, for "top young faculty members in Yahoo relevant academic areas, to thelp them as they start on their academic careers."
- Best Paper Award: Jiaqi Gong, Philip Asare, John Lach, and Yanjun Qi, "Piecewise Linear Dynamical Model for Actions Clustering from Inertial Body Sensors with Considerations of Human Factors", 9th International Conference on Body Area Networks (BodyNets2014), Sep. 2014.
- Best Paper Award: Enamel Hoque, Robert Dickerson, and Jack Stankovic, "Vocal-Diary: A Voice Command Based Ground Truth Collection System for Activity Recognition," Wireless Health, Oct. 2014.
- U.S. May Be Falling Behind in Researching Tech's Next Big Thing
- Prof. Mark Sherriff accepts the ice bucket challenge!
- Prof. Jack Stankovic is interviewed by Microsoft about "Smart Homes, Smart Phones, and Beyond."
- Congratulations to Shahriar Nirjon for winning the best paper award at MOBISYS 2014!
- "What Happens When the Right App Doesn't Know What the Left App is Doing?" - Prof. Jack Stankovic
- Prof. and Chair Kevin Skadron and 3 others at UVA were Awarded Funds to Advance Research, Economic Growth in State
- Prof. Kamin Whitehouse: "If Homes Could Talk"
- UVA Prof. Connelly Barnes and team have created "A Photo Filter, Just for Your Face"
- UVA Today's article on Prof. Mary Lou Soffa, "Award-Winning Computer Scientist Opens Door to Women"
- Brown Computer Science Blog about UVA CS Prof. Jack Stankovic